Skip to main content

How do you determine how much a dependable car costs?

Photo by Artistic Operations/Pixabay.com

My husband’s car is on its last ... tire?
It had been a good, reliable vehicle for years, but it is officially at the point now when it costs more to repair it than it is worth. So, rather than pump a bunch of money into it, we’ve spent just enough to keep it on the road. Our hope is that we can make it last until we paid down enough debt that we can buy another vehicle.

But now, we’ve reached the point where we might not have a choice much longer. And as we job hunt, we feel a sense of urgency to have a second reliable vehicle. What if my husband and I get jobs in different cities? Carpooling to work won’t likely be feasible.

So on my to-do list: Try to assess what the least amount a dependable vehicle would cost, and figure out a way to get us to that magic number as quickly as possible.

I’m not sure how to go about the first part, though: figuring out the minimum we’d need to spend for a dependable vehicle ... the keyword being “dependable.”

Any thoughts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

thredUP

Yesterday, I heard about a site called thredUP . Through this site, you can buy used clothes for your growing child from other parents, and sell the ones your child has outgrown. As quickly as our little girl goes through clothes at this stage, I think this sounds like a great idea. I'm constantly pulling clothes my daughter has outgrown out of her closet, and I feel like she's forever running out of clothes that fit her. I plan to look into it a little more, and I just might give it a try.

Marking a Milestone; Saving on Internet

I just noticed this is post number 100. Whoo hooo! I found an even cheaper solution to my home Internet. Currently, we pay $110 a month to the phone company for our home phone and Internet service and $28 a month to the cable company for basic cable. My plan was to switch our Internet to the cable company, which would cost about $65 a month for the level of Internet speed I'd like to get, then cut out TV cable service and the home phone. That would eliminate the $110 phone bill all together, but what we pay to the cable company would a little more than double. To get TV service, I bought this: I love the Roku, which streams TV shows and movies to the TV. It doesn't require a subscription to a service to stream -- there are quite a few free options -- but to increase variety and to have access to new TV shows, I sprang for subscriptions to Netflix and HuluPlus. (Until my membership to Amazon Prime expires this coming December, I also have a whole additional set of shows

Frozen Dinner Thoughts

I've been trying to give some thought to what kinds of foods would make good homemade frozen dinners.  (My first post on the topic is here .) Tomorrow is grocery day, so I'd like to have an idea what kinds of things I can make to make sure I have all the ingredients. So far, I'm planning stew (per my husband's request) and a crustless cheeseburger quiche. Hopefully, I can think of another seven options between today and tomorrow.