Skip to main content

Economizing while we job hunt

(Chance Agrella/FreeRangeStock.com)

I've been away from this blog for a long, long while, but my husband and I have still been slowly winnowing down our debt. We still have a long way to go, though.

So much for my hope to have everything but the house paid off before my daughter started school.

We need to get even more serious about getting rid of our debt. Due to ongoing hardships in the industry we work in, my husband and I are both unemployed at the moment. We're OK for now, because we each get a severance. We hope to have jobs before that runs out, but we'll be economizing in the meantime, just in case we don't. We need to make what we're getting right now last as long as possible.

So, our journey continues. I am always on the lookout for coupons, but because we do most of our grocery shopping at Aldi, the coupons we can use are few and far between.

The longer our joblessness lasts, the more likely I'll be to cut luxuries like our TV subscriptions — Netflix, Hulu or Sling — and I'll be keeping my eyes open for other ways we can save.

I hope we find jobs soon, but I also hope that we develop some really good financial habits while we're looking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

thredUP

Yesterday, I heard about a site called thredUP . Through this site, you can buy used clothes for your growing child from other parents, and sell the ones your child has outgrown. As quickly as our little girl goes through clothes at this stage, I think this sounds like a great idea. I'm constantly pulling clothes my daughter has outgrown out of her closet, and I feel like she's forever running out of clothes that fit her. I plan to look into it a little more, and I just might give it a try.

Marking a Milestone; Saving on Internet

I just noticed this is post number 100. Whoo hooo! I found an even cheaper solution to my home Internet. Currently, we pay $110 a month to the phone company for our home phone and Internet service and $28 a month to the cable company for basic cable. My plan was to switch our Internet to the cable company, which would cost about $65 a month for the level of Internet speed I'd like to get, then cut out TV cable service and the home phone. That would eliminate the $110 phone bill all together, but what we pay to the cable company would a little more than double. To get TV service, I bought this: I love the Roku, which streams TV shows and movies to the TV. It doesn't require a subscription to a service to stream -- there are quite a few free options -- but to increase variety and to have access to new TV shows, I sprang for subscriptions to Netflix and HuluPlus. (Until my membership to Amazon Prime expires this coming December, I also have a whole additional set of shows

Frozen Dinner Thoughts

I've been trying to give some thought to what kinds of foods would make good homemade frozen dinners.  (My first post on the topic is here .) Tomorrow is grocery day, so I'd like to have an idea what kinds of things I can make to make sure I have all the ingredients. So far, I'm planning stew (per my husband's request) and a crustless cheeseburger quiche. Hopefully, I can think of another seven options between today and tomorrow.