Skip to main content

Finding a use for gifts you don't use

(Stuart Miles/FreeRangeStock.com)

Question: Someone gives you a present. You open it, give the gifter a sincere smile, and say, "Thank you," but you know that gift is something you'll never use. Not once. What do you do with it later?

Me? I keep them. I just can't shake the feeling of guilt that goes along with regifting or selling them. As a result, my family and I have lots of items we either haven't used in years or have never used at all: An electric knife, electric griddle, a big mixer, something called Yonanas. The list goes on and on.

But the bottom line is, Yonanas and electric knives don't fit my family's lifestyle. They never have, and I doubt they ever will. So I think I might need to get over feeling like it would be ungrateful to get rid of them and post them in places like Craigslist or some of those online sales sites on Facebook for sale. That way, at least we can have the cash to pay toward part of our debt. Wouldn't that be a way to make them useful?

And you know, if I were to find out that my sister sold those Friends DVDs I gave her a decade or so ago, I wouldn't be angry or think she was ungrateful. So why do I let myself think people will think of me that way?

Do you hang on to items you don't need just because someone gave it to you? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

thredUP

Yesterday, I heard about a site called thredUP . Through this site, you can buy used clothes for your growing child from other parents, and sell the ones your child has outgrown. As quickly as our little girl goes through clothes at this stage, I think this sounds like a great idea. I'm constantly pulling clothes my daughter has outgrown out of her closet, and I feel like she's forever running out of clothes that fit her. I plan to look into it a little more, and I just might give it a try.

Frozen Dinner Thoughts

I've been trying to give some thought to what kinds of foods would make good homemade frozen dinners.  (My first post on the topic is here .) Tomorrow is grocery day, so I'd like to have an idea what kinds of things I can make to make sure I have all the ingredients. So far, I'm planning stew (per my husband's request) and a crustless cheeseburger quiche. Hopefully, I can think of another seven options between today and tomorrow.

Marking a Milestone; Saving on Internet

I just noticed this is post number 100. Whoo hooo! I found an even cheaper solution to my home Internet. Currently, we pay $110 a month to the phone company for our home phone and Internet service and $28 a month to the cable company for basic cable. My plan was to switch our Internet to the cable company, which would cost about $65 a month for the level of Internet speed I'd like to get, then cut out TV cable service and the home phone. That would eliminate the $110 phone bill all together, but what we pay to the cable company would a little more than double. To get TV service, I bought this: I love the Roku, which streams TV shows and movies to the TV. It doesn't require a subscription to a service to stream -- there are quite a few free options -- but to increase variety and to have access to new TV shows, I sprang for subscriptions to Netflix and HuluPlus. (Until my membership to Amazon Prime expires this coming December, I also have a whole additional set of shows